These slow cooker beef and beans are flavored with a honey barbecue sauce mixture and onion soup mix. The recipe is a very easy preparation and the dish is a delicious side to serve with barbecue.
This is an easy bean dish to serve along with a cookout or pulled pork barbecue. The beans are mixed with browned ground beef and slow cooked to perfection.A packet of onion soup mix flavors the beans nicely along with ketchup, a little vinegar, honey, and mustard.
One reader made the beans vegetarian by substituting TVP instead of ground beef (and they used vegetarian baked beans).
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (1 oz) envelope onion soup mix
- 2 (15 oz) cans baked beans (2 cans=30 ounces)
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon white or cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup cold water
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef. Stir frequently and break up the beef as it browns. Drain well.
- Place the browned ground beef in the slow cooker and add all remaining ingredients; stir to blend thoroughly.
- Cover the pot and cook on low for 6 to 9 hours.
Tips and Variations
- If you have some leftover pulled pork, go ahead and add it to the beans about an hour before serving.
- Cook 1/2 cup of chopped onion along with the ground beef.
- Add 1/4 cup of chopped bell pepper to the skillet with the ground beef.
- Use part bulk sausage with the ground beef or add about 1/2 pound of ground pork or sausage to the 1 pound of ground beef.
- Replace the honey with 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar.
- For a smoky flavor, add a teaspoon or two of liquid smoke.
- Instead of kidney beans, use black beans, pinto beans, or great northern.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||41 g|