Do you like shooters but want something with a sweet taste that doesn't leave you cringing from the alcohol? Then you will want to check out the "honey dew me" shot. Its frisky name is fun and its sweet honey-lemon flavor is tempting, so it's definitely a shooter you'll want to invite to your next party.
This recipe comes from Bärenjäger, a German honey-flavored liqueur that's named after medieval bear hunters. That sweet taste is accented with a lemon liqueur then orange or pineapple juice brings in a tartness to offset all that sugar. It's a fun shot to try, especially when you're in the mood for something unique.
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour the honey and lemon liqueurs and either orange or pineapple juice.
Serve and enjoy!
- For the lemon liqueur, limoncello is probably the best-known option and it is a good one. It's very sweet, so when paired with Bärenjäger, it may be too sweet for some tastes.
- There are other lemon liqueurs, such as Lombardi Limonata, which is described as "lemonade with a kick." Another fun option is Spirits of the Blue Ridge Lemon Liqueur, a product of Chesapeake Bay Distillery in Virginia; other craft distilleries may also offer the lemon flavor.
- To make this shooter a little smoother, chill your shot glasses. They're so small that they don't take up much room in the freezer and it's always nice to have a frosty shot ready when you are.
- Don't be tempted to skip the shake and just build the ingredients in a shot glass. This one really needs that extra dilution from the ice or it will be far too sweet.
- If you want to cut back on the sweetness, pour a lemon-flavored vodka instead. The fruit is most commonly found in citrus vodkas (that's a good choice), but you can find lemon-only vodkas from brands like Crop, Deep Eddy, New Amsterdam, and a few others.
- Pour Midori or another melon liqueur rather than lemon.
- Raspberry liqueurs (e.g., Chambord) would be nice with Bärenjäger as well.
How Strong Is a Honey Dew Me Shot?
You might expect that a two-liqueur shot would be weaker than those with liquors like tequila or whiskey, but this one's a surprise. Bärenjäger is actually a 70-proof liqueur and if you go with limoncello, that's typically 60 proof, so it shakes up to 20 percent ABV (40 proof). To put that into perspective, taking two of these shots is equal to one straight shot of tequila. It may have a sweet taste, but it does pack a punch!