These pork meatballs are perfect for a party or game day gathering, and they can be served hot, right from the slow cooker. Honey and garlic team up to make a sweet and tasty sauce for these homemade pork meatballs. Use a lean ground pork to make these easy meatballs.
The pork meatballs are baked and then coated with the flavorful sauce mixture, but can also be served as a party appetizer from the slow cooker kept on the low setting. The recipe is easily scaled up for a party or game-day gathering. Serve them with toothpicks and napkins or place them on a platter small lettuce leaves and pass them around.
- 1 pound ground pork, lean
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs, plain
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped
- cilantro, optional
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed, divided
- 1 scant teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Sriracha sauce or Tabasco, to taste
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet, such as a jelly roll pan or half sheet pan, with foil. Spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the pork with the beaten egg, bread crumbs, cilantro (if using), green onion, 1 clove pressed garlic, and the salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix the pork mixture until all ingredients are well blended.
- Shape the pork into meatballs about 1 inch in diameter, roughly 5/8 ounce each. I use a small cookie scoop to help shape them.
- Arrange the meatballs on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through and no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. When the butter is foamy, add the remaining 3 cloves of pressed garlic and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Add the ketchup, honey, soy sauce, and hot sauce, if using. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for about one minute.
- Combine the sauce in a serving dish with the meatballs and serve immediately as an appetizer, or serve with rice and a side vegetable for a meal, OR combine the sauce and meatballs in the crockery insert slow cooker. Cover and keep on the low setting for serving over a longer period of time.
Makes About 32 Meatballs
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|