This easy recipe for honey, lime, and rum glazed shrimp can be prepared on the grill or in your broiler, so it's a great year-round dish. The shrimp can also be skewered with veggies for a bright and colorful, healthy appetizer or entree.
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- Zest of 1 lime
- 3/4 cup amber honey
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger root, grated
- 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
- 20 large shrimp, peeled and deveined with the tail end of the shell left on
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Combine the lime zest and juice, honey, rum, ginger, garlic, and cayenne in a saucepan and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Bring the marinade to a boil over medium heat, cook 1 minute and let cool completely.
- Place the shrimp in a flat dish and pour half of the marinade onto them along with the olive oil. Cover and marinate in the refrigerate at least one hour or as long as 8 hours.
- Preheat grill or set the top rack of your broiler. If you are broiling the shrimp, line a sheet pan with foil for easy cleanup.
- If you are skewering the shrimp, choose fast cooking veggies like 2-inch lengths of scallion, 1/2 inch slices of small zucchini or yellow squash, baby tomatoes, or bite-sized pieces of yellow pepper, and alternate them with the shrimp.
- Cook the kebabs for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Toss shrimp with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Grill or broil the shrimp for 1 minute, brush with the marinade and turn.
- Cook for an additional two minutes, basting generously with more marinade. The shrimp will be bright pink on the outside and white on the inside.
- Stir the chopped cilantro into the remaining glaze and pour over the shrimp while they are still hot, passing lime wedges on the side.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|