Chicken recipes for the slow cooker are widely varied, with most focusing on American favorites that mix rice or pasta with chicken, vegetables and various kinds of sauce with different seasonings that play on that riff. This recipe, spiked with honey and hoisin sauce, gives this old crockpot standby a sweet and sour Asian twist.
Hoisin sauce is a jarred sauce commonly used in Asian dishes or as a dipping sauce. It's variously described as being sweet and sour or sweet and salty. Various brands differ on how sweet, sour or salty they are, and that all depends on the specific ingredients used. Find the brand you prefer and then experiment with it. This recipe gets its Asian character from the hoisin sauce, along with soy sauce and ginger root.
- 2 to 3 pounds chicken parts or whole chicken, cut up
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger root or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Wash the chicken and pat dry.
- Arrange the chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Combine the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, honey, wine, ginger, and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low from 5 1/2 to 8 hours, or until the chicken is tender and the juices run clear.
- Mix the cornstarch and water.
- Remove the fully cooked chicken from the slow cooker and reserve.
- Turn the heat up to high and add the cornstarch and water mixture.
- Continue to cook the mixture until thickened.
- When the mixture is thick, add the cooked chicken back to the slow cooker to heat through.
Serve this honeyed, hoisin-flavored chicken dish with hot cooked rice and stir-fried vegetables. Season the stir-fry with the hoisin for a full-on Asian meal. Serve with dry white wine like sauvignon blanc or cabernet or a lager or pilsner beer. If the wine you added to the dish is drinkable and not just for cooking, bring it to the table for dinner. Serve a light, citrusy dessert like lemon cake, lemon meringue pie or Key lime pie.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|