This sweet honey mustard barbecue sauce works great on poultry and pork. Easy to make ahead, you can store for up to a week in your refrigerator.
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup dark honey
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain (or stone-ground mustard)
- 2 tablespoons shallots (minced)
1. In a medium saucepan heat oil and add shallots. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat until shallots begin to sweat (not fry). Add remaining ingredients and let the sauce simmer for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat if sauce bubbles too much.
2. Once cooked through, remove from heat and allow the sauce to cool for 15 minutes.
3. To use, simply apply sauce to poultry or pork toward the last 15 to 20 minutes of cook time.
Since the sauce contains sugar, using any earlier in the process can cause the sauce to burn. If making ahead, store sauce in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Warm in microwave for 20 to 30 seconds before using.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|