This quick and easy recipe for Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs is so simple to make and is ready in less than 30 minutes. The chicken is cut into strips and simmered in a rich honey mustard sauce along with carrots, onions, and garlic to make a fragrant and flavorful dinner.
You could also use boneless, skinless chicken breasts in this recipe, but cut the simmering time down to 3 to 4 minutes. Chicken should be cooked to 165 F as measured by a reliable and accurate meat thermometer.
This recipe can also be made with other vegetables. Instead of the carrots, other root vegetables such as chopped sweet potatoes or parsnips would be delicious. You could add herbs other than thyme; basil or tarragon would be nice additions. When the sauce is added to the chicken, you could add some frozen baby peas or corn.
Once you have this recipe memorized, you can make it with just about anything you have on hand. In fact, that's one of the secrets to quick cooking: take a recipe that you like and can make well and vary it according to what's in your pantry, fridge, and freezer. In fact, this recipe would be wonderful with frozen shrimp or even frozen precooked meatballs. Cook according to the package directions for those products.
Serve this wonderful recipe with hot cooked couscous, cooked brown rice or pasta to soak up the tangy sauce, and a green salad tossed with mushrooms and cherry tomatoes for a nice dinner on a busy weeknight.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) package chicken thighs (boneless, skinless, and cut into strips)
- 4 carrots (sliced or 1 package baby carrots)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion; cook and stir for 4 minutes.
- Then add the chicken and carrots and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the chicken is browned on the bottom.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the garlic, honey, mustard, chicken broth, thyme, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Turn the chicken in the skillet using tongs, and add the honey mixture.
- Cover the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and cook the chicken, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 9 minutes until the chicken is thoroughly cooked to 165 F and the vegetables are tender.
- Serve immediately over hot cooked rice, pasta, or couscous.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|