|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 22g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||28%|
|Total Carbohydrate 26g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||9%|
|Total Sugars 12g|
|Vitamin C 12mg||60%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
A sweet and spicy honey-Sriracha sauce make meatballs that are delicious and surprisingly easy to whip up. When served over rice, honey Sriracha meatballs make an excellent main dish for a quick dinner. The meatballs also make a fun, spicy bite at a Super Bowl party or potluck when kept warm in a slow cooker.
Ground turkey, garlic, and scallions make up the lean homemade meatballs. After baking, they're tossed with a spicy-sweet sauce that has an impressive depth of flavor. With equal parts of Sriracha and honey, the taste is perfect for anyone who loves spicy food. The heat builds as you eat but doesn't overwhelm or burn your taste buds. If you prefer food a little milder, use less Sriracha and let the honey take center stage. Serving it with carrots and lime slices (to squeeze over the meatballs) helps tame the heat, too.
This is also an excellent pantry sauce. If you don't have the exact ingredients, there are variations, or a substitute may be waiting in the cupboard. For instance, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder or 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger can replace the sauce's fresh ingredients. It's a great recipe to play with and adapt, and it's so good that it can become a new favorite meatball dish in your house.
For the Meatballs:
2 pounds ground turkey
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup chopped scallion, plus green slices for garnish
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large egg
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the Sauce:
Note: while there are multiple steps to this recipe, the dish is broken down into workable categories to help you better plan for preparation and assembly.
Make the Turkey Meatballs
Gather the ingredients and preheat the oven to 375 F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the turkey, breadcrumbs, scallion, garlic, egg, salt, and black pepper.
Mix until fully incorporated, but do not overmix.
Form into uniformly sized balls, about 1-inch in diameter or 3/4 ounce each. Place the meatballs onto two foil-lined baking sheets.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until cooked through (internal temperature of 165 F).
Make the Honey Sriracha Sauce
In a small saucepan, combine the Sriracha sauce, honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, sesame oil (if using), and garlic.
Stir well to combine and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, toss the baked meatballs with the honey Sriracha sauce. Avoid using utensils, if possible, so you don't break up the meatballs.
Serve over rice. Drizzle a little of the extra sauce over the top and garnish with chopped scallion greens, sesame seeds, julienned carrots, and lime slices.
- To ensure the meatballs cook evenly, make them the same general size. Use an ice cream scoop or weigh them on a kitchen scale.
- Freeze extra baked meatballs before adding the sauce. Flash freeze them in a single layer, then transfer to a freezer bag. They'll keep for up to three months and simply need to be thawed in the refrigerator and reheated.
- If you want to brown the meatballs, cook them in a skillet with hot oil until browned first. Then, transfer to the oven to finish cooking (about 10 minutes).
- Switch to ground beef or pork or use any combination of ground meats if you prefer. Cook pork or beef meatballs to an internal temperature of 160 F. Another option is to use premade meatballs and only make the sauce.
- There are a few ways to approach honey Sriracha sauce, and you can get a similar taste from other ingredients in your pantry. One option, for instance, uses 1/4 cup of honey, 2 tablespoons each of Sriracha and soy sauces, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, and 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch. Heat to a boil while stirring the mix in a saucepan and simmer for about 3 minutes.