If you like your brisket on the spicy side, then this recipe is for you. However, you can adjust the cayenne to suit your taste. Use the flavorful brisket tips to enhance a pot of barbecued beans. Absolutely delicious!
- 8 to 10 lbs./3.6-4.5 kg beef (brisket)
- For the Rub:
- 1/3 cup/80 mL paprika
- 1/4 cup/60 mL black pepper
- 1/4 cup/60 mL brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons/45 mL salt
- 3 tablespoons/45 mL chili powder
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL onion powder
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL cayenne (use less if preferred)
Preheat smoker and add wood chips of your choice. Clean and dry the brisket. Combine rub ingredients and apply onto brisket.
Place brisket in the smoker for 8 to 10 hours. Keep the smoker temperature at about 225 F/110 C. To increase tenderness, take the brisket out of the smoker, wrap in aluminum foil and place in the oven at 180 to 200 F/80 to 95 C for the last two hours. Typically after 8 to 10 hours a piece of meat will have absorbed as much smoke as it can and additional smoking may impart a bitter flavor.
Take brisket off of heat and allow to sit for 20 minutes before slicing.