A cup of hot chocolate on a cold winter day is the perfect treat, and our recipe takes this beloved beverage one step further, transforming it into a decadent cake in less than five minutes. If you need a bite of cake and don't have the time to bake a big one, this single-person mug cake is prepped and cooked without making a whole lot of mess in your kitchen.
You can easily double the recipe to make it a dessert for two, plus once you get the base technique down, get adventurous and try new flavors or add-ins. Grab a spoon because this is going to be ready in no time.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons hot cocoa mix
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup mini marshmallows
Gather your ingredients.
In an average-sized mug, mix together the flour, hot cocoa mix, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, baking powder, and chocolate chips until they are completely combined.
In a different mug, whisk together the butter and milk.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until they are completely combined and there are no lumps. Scrape the edges to make sure you get all of the batter well mixed.
Place the mug in the microwave and cook for 1 minute and 30 seconds, or until the top is no longer runny and is just slightly sticky. If it's not done after the initial cooking time, cook in 30-second increments until done. Not all microwaves have the same power and cooking times might vary.
Remove from the microwave and top with mini marshmallows.
Serve while warm and enjoy!
Different Flavors and Toppings
Here are other combinations and toppings to try:
- Mexican Hot Chocolate: Add 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the dry ingredients before you mix the batter together.
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate: Add 1/8 teaspoon of peppermint extract to the milk and butter before you mix all of the ingredients together. Top the cooked cake with crushed peppermint sticks and marshmallows.
- Bailey's: Add a teaspoon of caramel syrup to the cake before cooking. Once done, top it with 1 tablespoon Bailey's and the ice cream of your choice.
- Affogato: Pour onto the cake a shot of strong espresso and top with sweetened condensed milk until the cake is soaked in this sugary mix.
- Peanut Butter: Mix 2 servings of powdered peanut butter with milk until creamy and top the cake with it. Crush some salted pretzels on top for crunch.
- Other toppings: Top your mug cake with whipped cream, chocolate fudge, marshmallow fluff, sliced strawberries, crushed cookies, caramel sauce, dulce de leche, fruit compote.