A cup of hot chocolate on a cold winter day is the perfect treat, and this recipe takes this beloved beverage one step further by transforming it into a decadent cake, with those quintessential mini marshmallows on top. If you are craving a bite of cake and don't have the time to bake one, this single-serving mug cake is prepped and cooked in less than five minutes, without making a whole lot of mess in your kitchen.
You can easily double this recipe to make it a dessert for two, and once you have the base technique down, can be adventurous and try new flavors or add-ins.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons hot cocoa mix
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup mini marshmallows
- Optional: whipped cream
- Optional: chocolate sauce
- Optional: chocolate shavings
Gather the ingredients.
In an average-sized mug, mix together the flour, hot cocoa mix, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, baking powder, and chocolate chips until completely combined.
In another mug of the same size, whisk together the butter and milk.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until they are completely combined and there are no lumps. Scrape the edges to make sure all of the batter is well mixed.
Place the mug in the microwave and cook for 1 minute and 30 seconds, or until the top is no longer runny and is just slightly sticky. If it's not done after the initial cooking time, cook in 30-second intervals until done. (Not all microwaves have the same power and cooking times might vary.)
Remove from the microwave and let cool for a minute or two. Top with the mini marshmallows and whipped cream, chocolate sauce, and chocolate shavings, if you like.
- Make sure to use a mug that is large enough; the batter should not come close to the top since it will rise as it cooks. If the mug is too small, the cake will overflow in the microwave and make a mess.
- Do not overcook the cake as it will turn dry and chewy. If the initial time isn't quite enough, cook in very small increments until done.
- Mexican Hot Chocolate: Add 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the dry ingredients before mixing the batter together.
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate: Add 1/8 teaspoon of peppermint extract to the milk and butter before you mix all of the ingredients together. Top the cooked cake with crushed peppermint sticks and marshmallows.
- Bailey's: Add 1 teaspoon of caramel syrup to the cake before cooking. Once done, top it with 1 tablespoon Bailey's and the ice cream of your choice.
- Affogato: Pour a shot of strong espresso onto the cake and top with sweetened condensed milk until the cake is soaked with this sugary mix.
- Peanut Butter: Mix 2 servings of powdered peanut butter with milk until creamy and add to the top of the cake. Crush some salted pretzels on top for crunch.
- Other toppings: Top your mug cake with whipped cream, chocolate fudge, marshmallow fluff, sliced strawberries, crushed cookies, caramel sauce, dulce de leche, or fruit compote.