Hot chocolate on a cold winter day is the perfect treat. Hot chocolate in decadent cake form? Even better! Inspired by the classic winter drink, each spoonful of this mug cake has the perfect bite of chocolate chips and marshmallows. Bonus: It's ready in no time at all and takes less than five minutes from start to finish. It's perfect for when you don't want to bake a whole cake, but need a little bite of sweetness.
Most of the ingredients in this recipe are probably already in your pantry and it mixes together in the same mug that you "cook" it in, which means no extra dirty dishes and bowls to worry about. Then, all your have to do is pop it into the microwave.
You can easily double the recipe to make it dessert for two—it's perfect for a Christmas Eve treat or a Valentine's indulgence. There are also many different ways you can mix it up with this delicious hot chocolate cake. Once you get the base technique down, get adventurous and try new flavors or add-ins.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons hot cocoa mix
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup milk
- Garnish: mini marshmallows
Gather your ingredients.
In an average-sized mug, mix together the flour, hot cocoa mix, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, baking powder, and chocolate chips until they are completely combined.
In a measuring cup, whisk together the butter and milk.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until they are completely combined and there are no lumps.
Add the batter back into the mug, scraping the edges to make sure you get all of the batter into the mug.
Place it in the microwave and cook for 1 minute and 30 seconds, or until the top is no longer runny and is just slightly sticky. Cook in 30 second increments if it is not done after the minute and thirty seconds.
Remove from the microwave and top with mini marshmallows.
Serve while warm and enjoy!
- Mexican Hot Chocolate: Make this hot chocolate cake with a Mexican twist by adding in 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the dry ingredients before you mix the batter together.
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate: Add an 1/8 of a teaspoon of peppermint extract to the milk and butter before you mix all of the ingredients together, Then top it with crushed peppermint sticks and marshmallows.
- Bailey's: Enjoy an adult twist on this cake by adding Irish cream. Pour a teaspoon of caramel syrup to the cake before cooking; when you take it out of the microwave, finish it with 1 tablespoon of Bailey's over the top and then top with a scoop of your favorite ice cream.
- Toppings: Try a bunch of different toppings—marshmallows, whipped cream, chocolate fudge, or marshmallow fluff are all delicious additions.