This recipe for green beans with bacon is full of great flavor. The German-style dressing is simple and delicious. Use fresh or frozen green beans for this recipe.
Add extra bacon, if you like. A combination of fresh green beans and yellow wax beans is attractive and delicious.
- 1 pound fresh green beans or wax beans, or a combination
- 4 to 6 strips bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cider vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook fresh beans in a covered saucepan in about 1 1/2 cups of water with 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt until tender. Alternatively, cook frozen green beans on the stovetop in water following package instructions.
- Drain the green beans, reserving about 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid. If you don't have enough liquid, use some low sodium or unsalted chicken stock or water.
- Dice the bacon. In a saucepan or skillet, saute the diced bacon with the onion until the bacon is cooked and onion has lightly browned.
- Add the reserved bean liquid to the bacon mixture. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until the mixture has reduced by half.
- Add the sugar, cider vinegar, and the cooked beans. Heat through and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To thicken the sauce, stir 2 teaspoons of cornstarch into the cooled reserved green bean cooking liquid. Add it to the bacon mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened. Add the sugar, vinegar, and beans. Heat through and season to taste with salt and pepper.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||22 g|