Do your burritos often fall apart? Or the filling escapes from inside the tortilla? Whether you are sitting at the dinner table or eating the burrito on-the-go at lunchtime, a burrito that opens and unfolds can be frustrating and messy. With this simple method, you will learn how to fold a burrito so its contents stay tucked inside where they should be.
- Lay the tortilla on the flat surface. Layer your burrito contents down the center of the tortilla, lengthwise. If you're using a 12-inch large tortilla, the filling can be up to four inches wide and approximately seven inches long. Leave at least four inches on the bottom end of the filling.
- For the first fold, fold the short end of the tortilla up so the contents don't spill out of the bottom.
- Fold one of the long sides over the top of the filling. Place your fingers perpendicular across the fold, cup the tortilla over the filling and push the edge against the filling to make sure the fold is tight.
- Wrap the remaining long end over both folds.
- Let the burrito rest. Turn burrito over and lay it folded side down. Let it rest for a moment to ensure the tortilla has time to mold itself closed.
By following some of this advice you are sure to have a neatly folded burrito every time.
- Warm the tortilla first by microwaving it under a damp paper towel for 15 seconds, or on a griddle over low heat. This will make the tortilla much easier to fold.
- Try to keep your fillings three to four inches wide and about eight inches long. If you must add more, your burrito may not close properly.
- Make sure you let the burrito sit for a minute (or two, if you can wait) so the tortilla can mold to the fillings.
- Take your time on the first try. It takes a little bit of practice to master this folding technique.