Nutritious, flavorful sweet potatoes are available year-round, and there are few vegetables as versatile. This vitamin A-rich root vegetable can be baked whole or diced or used in savory dishes like gratins, breads and biscuits, or casseroles. Sweet potatoes also make delicious desserts, including sweet potato pies, moist cakes, muffins, and sweet potato cookies. Stock up in the fall when prices are lowest and freeze them sliced, diced, baked, or mashed.
How to Freeze Boiled Sliced or Diced Sweet Potatoes
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes, then slice or dice them to the preferred size. Make sure they're all around the same size, so they cook evenly. Cook sweet potatoes with the skin on unless a specific recipe that you're using the cooked sweet potatoes for directs otherwise. The skin is easily removed once the potatoes are cooked.
- Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until they just begin to be tender but are still quite firm.
- Remove the sweet potatoes and let them stand at room temperature until cooled.
- Put the sweet potatoes in freezer storage bags. Remove as much of the air from the bags as possible. If you don't have a vacuum sealing system, try the straw method. Close the bag, leaving just enough of an opening for a straw, then suck out as much air as you can. Finish closing the bag and freeze.
- Freeze for up to 12 months.
- Use frozen sliced or diced sweet potatoes in lentils or stews or in recipes with brown sugar or syrup, such as candied sweet potatoes.
How to Freeze Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place a large baking pan or heavy-duty foil on the bottom rack of the oven.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes, poke them in a few places with a fork, and place on the rack in the preheated oven.
- Bake the sweet potatoes for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until tender. Let the potatoes cool for about an hour in the oven. At this point, you can wrap the cooled sweet potatoes in foil and transfer them to freezer bags to freeze whole.
- Freeze the sweet potatoes for up to 12 months. To reheat whole baked sweet potatoes, remove the foil. Rewrap them in a new sheet of foil and bake in a 350 F oven for about 25 to 35 minutes. Split and add a little butter and cinnamon sugar for serving.
How to Freeze Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Follow the baked sweet potato method until step three. Then, take the cooled sweet potatoes out of the oven, slip the skins off, and put the flesh in a large bowl.
- Beat the sweet potatoes until smooth. Add a tablespoon of lemon juice for each 1 pint of sweet potatoes, if you wish. Lemon juice helps prevent browning, but it isn't absolutely necessary.
- Pack the sweet potato mixture into bags and flatten the bag to remove as much air out as possible.
- Add honey, maple syrup, or other sweeteners to frozen mashed sweet potatoes or used them in sweet potato casserole, bread or biscuits, puddings, cakes, or sweet potato pie.