01 of 06
This Watermelon Fruit Basket Is Impressive But Simple
Watermelon fruit bowls are perfect for summer events because they look so beautiful on a barbecue or cookout food spread. They are easy to make and look super impressive!
Simply follow these easy step-by-step instructions, fill with your favorite fruit salad or dip recipe and enjoy!
You Will Need
Continue to 2 of 6 below.
- Ripe watermelon
- Large sharp knife
- Razorblade knife or craft knife
- Optional: Melon-ball tool
02 of 06
Make the Bottom Flat
With a large sharp knife, cut a very thin slice from either long side of the melon. Making the bottom flat will allow the melon to sit upright without wobbling. It also makes it much easier to cut the edges out of the top of the melon!Continue to 3 of 6 below.
03 of 06
Cut off the Top
Continue to 4 of 6 below.
- Place the watermelon on it's cut side. Place the knife about 1 inch to the left of the center and slice the melon completely through. Turning the melon as you cut it if necessary.
- Use the melon baller to remove the pulp from the top slice, reserving for fruit salad, then discard the top.
- The reserved bottom will become your basket.
04 of 06
Scoop out the Center
Use a melon-baller to remove edible watermelon pulp and reserve for fruit salad or other use. you can also carve out the melon with a regular knife or scoop it out with a spoon. The balled melon looks the nicest in the fruit salad, but you can also cut it into chunks!Continue to 5 of 6 below.
05 of 06
Carve the Edge
Carve evenly-spaced V-shaped notches around the top edge of the watermelon bowl. Have them connect to form the zigzag shape at the top. If you are looking to create a round edge, space them farther apart and then round the edges with your sharp knife.Continue to 6 of 6 below.
06 of 06
Fill Your Bowl
- Fill the finished bowl with fruit salad or dip.
- You can use this method on other melons such as cantaloupe, honeydew, Crenshaw melon, etc. Some skin of the melons may be harder to cut than others. Sharp tools and attention to safety are a must to avoid kitchen accidents.