Homemade chicken nuggets are much healthier and tastier than frozen or fast-food varieties and they're a cinch to make, too. If you're ready to put homemade nuggets to the taste test, read on to learn how you can quickly whip up a batch for weeknight meals or as game day snacks that'll disappear in no time.
- Save time by doubling or tripling this recipe, so you have plenty of extra nuggets to stick in the freezer for future meals. If you cook your nuggets before you freeze them, they'll be just as convenient as store-bought ones. When you're ready to eat the nuggets, just pop them in the oven or microwave to warm them.
- You can also save money right off the bat by making your own breadcrumbs instead of using store-bought. Try drying some bread out in the oven—you can and pulsing it in a food processor until you reach your desired size and texture. Then, add whatever herbs or spices you'd like to flavor them. As long as you dry them out well, they'll be shelf-stable. Make a big batch and keep them on hand for easy meal preparation. You can also use a stale loaf to make breadcrumbs.
01 of 08
Gather the Ingredients
To make chicken nuggets at home, you'll need the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (panko or Italian)
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 3 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 3 teaspoons pepper
- 1 cup canola oil
- Optional: 1/8 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
In three individual bowls, separate the flour, egg, and breadcrumbs. Add a teaspoon of seasoned salt and black pepper to each of the bowls and whisk to combine.
02 of 08
Cut Up the Chicken
Trim off the fat from the chicken breasts. Then, chop them up into nugget-sized pieces. You can also cut them into chicken tenders if you prefer.
03 of 08
Dip Chicken in the Flour Dredge
Dip the chicken pieces in the bowl of flour and shake off any excess.
04 of 08
Dip Chicken in the Beaten Egg
Then, dip the chicken pieces in the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides completely.Continue to 5 of 8 below.
05 of 08
Bread the Nuggets
Finally, dredge the chicken nuggets into the breadcrumb mixture, again making sure to coat both sides thoroughly.
06 of 08
Place Nuggets on a Baking Sheet
Place the chicken nuggets on a cooling rack over a baking sheet if you are going to bake your chicken nuggets. Spray them with cooking spray.
07 of 08
Bake of Fry the Nuggets
Bake the chicken nuggets in a 425 F oven for 25 minutes. Flip the nuggets half way through the baking process.
You can also fry them. Heat the cup of oil to 375 F and fry 3 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through.
08 of 08
Serve With a Dipping Sauce
Serve the nuggets hot and fresh with your favorite dipping sauce and watch them disappear.