Can you make your own fresh bacon at home? Sort of. This method is for a (relatively) quick, uncured, unsmoked, fresh bacon. Whether it's for a nice BLT, or to serve next to eggs for breakfast, making your own fresh bacon is a fun and delicious project.
- 4-pound piece pork belly, tough rind/skin trimmed off
- 2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Combine the spices and coat the pork belly thoroughly all over. Wrap snugly in two layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Place in a roasting pan and cook for 3 1/2 hours. Turn off oven and leave the pork inside to cool for 1 1/2 hours. Remove and refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap the pork belly and scrape off any gelatinous juices. Cut into thick slices and brown in a pan just as if you were cooking bacon. A little extra fat from the foil can be added to the pan to help get things going.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with more salt if needed.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||60 g|
|Saturated Fat||22 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||28 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|