A favorite summer drink, frappé is a cool refresher on a hot day for coffee lovers. It's easy to make using instant coffee (decaf or full octane), and while it can be whipped, the traditional version is shaken, never stirred. In Greek: φραπέ, pronounced frah-PEH.
- In a shaker or jar (with a tight-fitting lid), add 2 to 3 tablespoons of cold water, 1 teaspoon of instant coffee, and sugar to taste (1 teaspoon of sugar for medium-sweet).
- Close tightly and shake for 10 seconds, until the mixture appears to be all foam.
- Pour the foam into a water glass, add 7-8 ounces of water, 3-4 ice cubes, milk to taste, and stir.
- Serve with a straw.
What You Need:
- Shaker or jar with a tight-fitting lid or drink mixer
- 1 cup cold water
- Instant coffee
- Sugar (optional)
- Milk (optional)
- Ice cubes
- The purpose of shaking or mixing is to create a large amount of thick foam.. the more, the better.
- If you have a soda fountain-type drink mixer or a small electric drink mixer, put the ingredients in step 1 into a glass to start, create the foamy base, and then add the water, ice cubes, milk, and straw to serve.
- Alternatively, this can be made without adding the ice cubes if the water is cold and the weather is, too.