Believe it or not, there is an art to cooking eggs (hard-boiled) in the shell. Find out how to cook them perfectly to your tastes without that gray-green tinge. Remember, the term "hard-boiled" eggs is a misnomer as they should not be boiled for any length of time.
Time Required: 25 minutes
- Place eggs in single layer in saucepan.
- Cover with at least one inch of cold water over tops of shells.
- Cover pot with lid and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- As soon as the water comes to a full boil, remove from heat and let stand.
- Large soft-cooked eggs: let stand in hot water 1 to 4 minutes, depending on your tastes.
- Large hard-cooked eggs: let stand in hot water 15 to 17 minutes.
- When cooked to desired level, drain off hot water.
- Immediately cover with cold water and add a few ice cubes.
- Soft-cooked eggs: let stand in cold water until cool enough to handle. Serve.
- Hard-cooked eggs: let stand in cold water until completely cooled. Use as needed.
- Never boil eggs. It makes them rubbery.
- Use older eggs. Fresh ones won't peel properly.
- To keep eggs from cracking while cooking (before placing in water), pierce large end with a needle, which will also make them easier to peel.
What You Need:
More Hard-Boiled Egg Recipes:
• Asparagus Mimosa
• Avocado Crab Grapefruit Salad
• Avocado and Egg Pâté
• Beauregard Eggs
• Beef and Sausage Roll
• Best Deviled Eggs
• Cabbage Mushroom Pie
• Caviar Cream Pie
• Caviar Eggs
• Caviar Spread
• Caviar Torte with Champagne Onions
• Chicken Deviled Eggs
• Creamy Caviar Spread
• Deviled Eggs with Caviar
• Deviled Deviled Eggs
• Egg, Nut and Mushroom Pâté
• Egg Salad with Capers and Olives
• Hindoo Eggs
• Hard-boiled Egg and Hot Pepper Vinegar Dressing
• Haricots Verts (Green Beans) and Horseradish Salad
• Lancaster Chicken Corn Soup
• Jewish-Style Chicken Liver Pate
• Mock Turtle Soup
• Mustard Potato Salad
• Pasta Nicoise Salad
• Peruvian Potato Salad
• Pickled Beets With Eggs
• Potato Salad Without Potatoes (Mock Potato Salad)
• Salmon-Stuffed Eggs with Herb Dressing
• Scotch Eggs
• Spinach, Carrot and White Kidney Bean Pâté
• Spinach Salad Flambe
• Summer Beet Salad
• Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
• Tarragon Brie Sauce for Waffles
• Trout Fillet, Coulibiac style
• Vegetable Egg Spread Sandwich
• Vegetables with Avocado Aioli