It isn't every day you get a chance to enjoy the richness of lobster meat, and with the critters being so expensive, every cook should have a recipe to make use of the leftover bodies and shells.
This recipe is for lobster stock, but you can concentrate it and add a bit more salt to make a rich lobster broth, too. Use this as a soup base or for a fantastic lobster risotto or just have a cup of it on a cold day. It freezes well for up to six months.
- 2 to 4 lobsters (leftover bodies and shells)
- 4 tablespoons oil (olive)
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- 4 stalks celery (chopped)
- 3 carrots (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 bulb fennel (tops, chopped)
- 1/2 pound mushrooms (chopped)
- 4 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 to 5 tomatoes (plum, chopped)
- 1/2 cup white wine (or dry sherry)
- 1 gallon water (more or less)
- Salt to taste
- Break the lobster shells into small pieces. Open the bodies and remove the gray, feathery gills and the sand sac from between the eyes. Crush the bodies so they fit in a large stewpot.
- Heat the oil in the stewpot and sauté the onions, celery, and carrots over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the lobster and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, fennel, and mushrooms, mix well and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add the parsley, bay leaves, and tomatoes, then the wine or dry sherry.
- Mix well and cook until the alcohol largely burns off the wine, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add enough water to cover everything by 2 to 3 inches.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Simmer gently for at least 90 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Cook until it tastes full-flavored and then strain. Do this by turning off the heat, then grabbing all the big chunks with tongs and tossing them in the trash. Strain the rest through a fine-meshed sieve with a piece of cheesecloth set inside it.
- Pour into quart-sized Mason jars or some other container. This will keep for up to 10 days in the fridge or six months in the freezer.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|