A traditional Southern gravy usually served with ham and biscuits. Follow these simple instructions.
Time Required: 15 minutes
- In a heavy skillet (preferably iron), fry some ham. Salt-cured country ham is preferred if you can get it, but a center-cut slice of ham is fine.
- Remove the ham and keep warm.
- Pour 1/2 cup of water, black coffee, or a combination of both into the drippings.
- Bring to a boil, stirring and scraping the dregs off the bottom of the pan. Continue stirring and boiling for a minute or two.
- Pour the gravy over the ham or into a separate pitcher.
- Serve this gravy with the ham, biscuits, grits, and eggs.
What You Need:
- large skillet
- 1/2 cup water or coffee