01 of 06
A Slow Cooker Is a Must for Pulled ChickenContinue to 2 of 6 below.
02 of 06
Assemble Your Pulled Chicken Ingredients
First, assemble your ingredients. You will need:
Continue to 3 of 6 below.
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken parts (a combination of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, and skinless bone-in thighs, which will give the final dish some richness)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 8 ounces barbecue sauce (purchased or homemade)
03 of 06
Fill the Slow Cooker
Continue to 4 of 6 below.
- Place the chicken parts in the slow-cooker crock. If there is too much chicken to put in a single layer, put the thighs on the bottom and the breasts on top.
- Sprinkle the onion evenly over the chicken.
04 of 06
Add the Sauce
Continue to 5 of 6 below.
- Pour enough sauce over the chicken and onions to just cover it, using a spatula to spread it completely over the chicken.
- Then, put the cover on the slow cooker and set it to LOW. The chicken will take about 5 hours to cook.
05 of 06
Shred the Chicken
Continue to 6 of 6 below.
- After 5 to 6 hours, check to see if the chicken is done. It should break apart easily when you pierce it with a knife or a fork. When the chicken is done, it's time to "pull" it.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the slow cooker, leaving the cooker on LOW. Let the chicken cool for 5 to 10 minutes on a sheet pan or in a shallow baking pan. Then, with two forks, a knife, or your clean fingers, shred the chicken into small pieces.
- The chicken should pull apart easily from its long, slow... simmer in the slow cooker. Discard any bones.
06 of 06
Mix the Chicken and Sauce
- Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and use a wooden spoon or a pair of tongs to toss it with the sauce, until the chicken is completely distributed.
- If the chicken seems dry, add more sauce. The chicken can remain in the slow cooker on LOW or the KEEP WARM setting until you're ready to serve it.
- You can serve the pulled chicken on its own, or on a sandwich bun with some crisp cole slaw.