You can roast chiles under medium heat on the broiler, on a very hot grill, over an open fire or on the stovetop. For the stove top method, it is helpful to use a metal steaming basket placed over the open flame. Place the chiles into the basket and keep the flame medium.
Time Required: 10-20 minutes
- Prepare chiles
Clean chiles and dry thoroughly.
- Prepare heat
Get the heat source ready. Preheat broiler or grill, get fire ready or place the metal steamer over the open flame of a stovetop
- Char chiles
Place cleaned chiles under or over the heat and turn every minute or so until the skin is blackened. The entire chile will not be completely black, but it should be charred about 60%. It should take 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat
Carefully remove the charred chiles from the heat source. Tongs are helpful for this.
- Sweat chiles
Carefully place the chiles into a plastic baggie and seal it. This will steam the chiles to continue the cooking and make the skins easier to remove. Let the chiles sweat for 10-15 minutes. Use additional baggies if roasting a large number of chiles.
- Remove skins
Remove the chiles from the bag one at a time. As you remove them, rub the chiles to remove the skins. Use a knife to remove any skin that sticks.
- Use or store
When the chiles are all peeled, you can use them immediately for best flavor, or freeze them for later use.
- If a baggie is not available, place the chiles in a plastic storage container with a lid. Or on a plate covered with plastic wrap or a towel.
- Be careful of the heat. Always use tongs, pot holders or whatever you need to protect yourself.
- Remember that the chile does not need to be completely black. As long as the chile is at least 60% charred, it should be fine.
- Some people remove the skins while holding the chile under running water. The water can remove some of the flavorful oils in the chile so try to remove the skins with just your fingers.
What You Need:
- Fresh, whole chiles
- Heat source- broiler, grill, open fire, stove top with a metal steam basket
- Plastic baggie or plastic wrap