How to Steam Squash
To make steamed squash, you'll need:
- squash peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt to taste a steamer basket or colander (not plastic)
- dutch over or large pot with lid (the colander or steamer basket must be able to fit in the pot)
- Fill dutch oven or pot with one to two inches of water. Bring to a boil.
- Place squash in a steamer basket or colander and sprinkle with salt. Place basket or colander in pot and cover. Do not reduce heat.
- Allow to steam for about 7-10 minutes, until you can pierce with a fork.
How to Steam Squash in the Microwave
Steaming squash in the microwave is super easy. Simply add washed, cut pieces of squash into a microwave safe bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of water and cover. Microwave for 3 minutes or longer until it can be pierced with a fork.
If at 3 minutes, it is not done, cook in 30-second increments until done.