This one-pot classic Hungarian chicken dish for chicken paprikash (some call it chicken paprika) combines five key Hungarian ingredients—onions, green peppers, tomatoes, paprika, and sour cream. The dish can be pulled together quickly, especially if the vegetables are prepped the night before.
Some claim the addition of green peppers and tomatoes is not traditional but, as with all recipes, ingredients vary from family to family and region to region.
For a lower-fat version, use canola oil instead of butter, low-fat sour cream, and 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, or a combination. If using breasts only, reduce the simmering time to 20 minutes.
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) chicken (cut up)
- 1 bell pepper (green, seeded, chopped
- 1 large tomato (peeled, seeded and chopped, or 1 (14.5-ounce) undrained can chopped tomatoes)
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika (sweet or hot)
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
- Heat butter in a Dutch oven or large skillet with a lid. Add onion and sauté over low heat until translucent.
- Add chicken pieces and brown lightly on both sides. Add green pepper, tomato, garlic, and sweet or hot paprika.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 35 minutes or until chicken is tender (about 20 minutes if using chicken breasts only).
- Remove chicken to a heated platter and keep warm by loosely tenting with aluminum foil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream with flour. Temper the sour cream mixture with some of the pan juices. Return tempered sour cream mixture to pan and simmer until juices are thickened. Return chicken to pan to rewarm.
- Portion into heated bowls or plates, and serve with nokedli, which are similar to German spaetzle, or another type of noodle, or rice.
Note: For a family-style presentation, arrange the paprikash atop a platter of noodles.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||53 g|
|Saturated Fat||19 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||19 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|