This traditional recipe for Hungarian chocolate mousse cake - sutemeny Rigo Jancsi - has a delightful history.
Rigo Jancsi was a famous Hungarian gypsy violinist. In 1896 while in Paris, Jancsi played for Prince Josef and Princess Klara. Fascinated by his swarthy good looks, she fell in love. Klara left her husband and children to follow Jancsi who divorced his wife. The affair didn't last but the cake Rigo created with a confectioner in Klara's honor did - sutemeny Rigo Jancsi. It remains a favorite Hungarian sweet.
- For the Sponge Cake:
- 3 ounces chocolate (unsweetened, melted, and cooled to lukewarm)
- 3/4 cup/1 1/2 sticks butter (unsalted, softened)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup flour (all-purpose)
- For the Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 10 ounces chocolate (semisweet, chopped)
- 4 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Glaze:
- 7 ounces chocolate (semisweet, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup (light)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For the cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a jellyroll pan with parchment paper. In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter with 1/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add cooled melted chocolate and beat in egg yolks one at a time.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites and pinch salt until whites cling to the beater. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Lighten the chocolate mixture by stirring in 1/3 of the whites. Then, carefully, fold in the remaining whites. Sprinkle the flour over the batter and, carefully, fold it in without decreasing the volume.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 12-15 minutes, or until cake starts to pull away from the sides. Do not overbake. Cool a few minutes on a wire rack and then invert onto the rack. Remove parchment paper and let cool completely.
- For the filling: Meanwhile, Place 10 ounces chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Bring the cream to a boil in the microwave or on the stovetop and pour over chocolate. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand 10 minutes. Add rum and vanilla and stir until smooth. Refrigerate 1 hour. When cold, whip the filling until volume has doubled.
- Assembly: Cut the cake in half and place one half on a rack. Spread the filling over the cake and top with the remaining cake half. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For the glaze: Meanwhile, Place 7 ounces chocolate, butter and corn syrup in a microwaveable bowl. Heat on full power 1 minute. Add vanilla and stir until completely melted and smooth. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Set the rack holding the cake over a pan to catch drips. Holding the glaze 2 inches above the cake, pour the glaze evenly, using a spatula to cover the sides, if necessary. Refrigerate 20 minutes or until glaze is set.
- This cake is very rich. Cut into 5 by 7 rows for a total of 35 small squares. Refrigerate leftovers.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||70 g|
|Saturated Fat||41 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||21 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|