This recipe for Hungarian curd cheesecake -- turos (curd cheese) lepeny (sheet) -- is also known as turos pite, and turos racsos. It's also known as Rakoczi-style curd cheesecake after Janos Rakoczi (1897-1966), a Hungarian chef reputed to have created the dessert. Some have lattice dough tops, others meringue.
This is my version. I like to make a double batch of the crust to keep on hand in the refrigerator for unexpected company. It's so easy to pat it into a 9x13-inch pan and top with canned fruit filling. double batch of the crust to keep on hand in the refrigerator for unexpected company. It's so easy to pat it into a 9x13-inch pan and top with canned fruit filling.
If you can't find dry curd cheese, you might want to make your own farmers cheese from scratch.
Freeze leftover egg whites and save for leftover egg white recipes.
- For the Crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 1/4 sticks butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- For the Filling:
- 1 pound dry curd farmers cheese (or ricotta)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 (14-ounce) cans apricot filling or jam
- Optional: 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- For the Meringue Topping:
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of a food processor, mix flour and confectioners' sugar. Pulse in butter as for pie dough. Pour 1 egg yolk through the food chute and run the machine until dough starts to come together. Transfer the dough to a work surface and, lightly, bring the dough together. Press it into a 9x13-inch pan, using slightly dampened fingertips, if necessary. Bake halfway, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl or food processor, combine curd cheese, sugar, 3 egg yolks, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and zest (if using) until smooth. Note: If you like a lot of cheese filling, increase the curd cheese to 2 pounds, 6 large egg yolks, 2 teaspoons vanilla and 2 teaspoons lemon zest (if using).
- Spread cheese filling evenly over partially baked crust, and top with apricot filling , using slightly dampened fingertips, if necessary, and return to oven for another 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the meringue by whipping the 4 reserved egg whites with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 cup sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Reduce heat to 250 degrees. Remove cake from oven. Either pipe meringue over cheesecake surface in lattice-type rows or spread it evenly over the entire surface, using a spatula to make swirls as for lemon meringue pie. Bake 20 minutes or until meringue is very lightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||24 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|