Hungarian plum dumplings, known as szilvas gomboc, can be eaten as dessert, a meatless main dish or side dish.
Like Polish, Romanian and Croatian plum dumplings, the dough is made with freshly mashed potatoes. This dough, however, is rolled with a pin, rather than formed into dumplings by hand.
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled, boiled, mashed and cooled (don't use leftovers)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 18 damson or Italian prune plums, washed and pitted
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 1/2 cups very fine breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup cinnamon sugar
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, eggs, and salt. When well combined, add flour and mix until a soft dough forms. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest 30 minutes.
- Place a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/3 inch. Cut into 2-inch squares. Place a plum in the center of each square and fold in half, pressing out all air and sealing the edges. Moisten edges before crimping if necessary to seal.
- Carefully drop filled dumplings individually into boiling water. Repeat until all plums are in the water. Cook 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large skillet, add breadcrumbs and brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove dumplings to a colander to drain. Place skillet back on the heat and add dumplings, coating with buttered crumbs.
- Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
More Eastern European Plum Recipes
- Polish Plum Cake Recipe: This quick and easy recipe for Polish placek z sliwkami makes good use of an abundance of fresh plums or canned whole purple plums that have been drained, pitted and halved.
- Polish Plum Butter Recipe: Powidła śliwkowe calls for only two ingredients -- plums and sugar and not very much of the latter. It is used as a spread on bread, rolls, sour-milk pancakes (racuszki) but also in sauces, pastries and sometimes in the national dish of Poland -- Hunter's Stew or bigos. It is even sometimes turned into soup -- .
More Hungarian Dumpling Recipes
- Potato Dumplings with Sheep's Milk Cheese Recipe: This recipe for potato dumplings with sheep's milk cheese, preferably Liptauer, is known as dodole in Hungarian or strapacka in the northern part (Slovakia) of Hungary. This is also known as Slovak bryndzove halusky.
- Hungarian Bread Dumplings Recipe: Zsemlye gomboc is made with stale bread cubes. These bread dumplings are similar to Czech bread dumplings except the latter is formed into a loaf and sliced. Hungarian bread dumplings are scooped or rolled into balls.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||92 g|
|Saturated Fat||42 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||31 g|
|Dietary Fiber||39 g|