Smoked Hungarian sausage is the star in this one-pot comfort food dish of layered potatoes and hard-cooked eggs smothered in sour cream and bread crumbs, known as rakott burgonya (RRAH-koht BOORR-gohn-yoh). It can be served as a luncheon dish with a green salad, as a main course or as a side dish.
View these Step-by-Step instructions for making Hungarian sausage and potato casserole.
- 4 ounces/1 stick butter (plus additional butter to grease casserole dish)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (fine, plus additional for dusting casserole dish)
- 8 medium potatoes (red, boiled al dente, peeled and thinly sliced)
- 8 eggs (hard-cooked, peeled, and sliced)
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 pound Hungarian sausage (smoked mild, medium or hot, cut 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 cup sour cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter bottom and sides of a large casserole dish with a lid. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Arrange 1/3 of potatoes in bottom of casserole dish and dot with 1/4 of butter. Cover with 1/3 of eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with 1/3 of sausage followed by 1/3 of sour cream.
- Continue layering, ending with sour cream. Cover with an even layer of bread crumbs and dot with remaining butter. Cover with lid, place on a lipped baking sheet to catch any drips and bake 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Let rest at least 10 minutes before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||34 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|