This Hungarian style stuffed cabbage roll recipe is made with sauerkraut and ground beef and ground meat. With light seasoning and with tomato juice and sour cream sauce added, the combined flavors emerge together.
- 1 large head of cabbage (core removed)
- 1/2 pound pork (ground)
- 1 pound beef (lean ground)
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 cup rice (cooked)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 cups sauerkraut (rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- Place the cored cabbage head in a large bowl; pour boiling water over to cover. Let stand for about 5 minutes, or until the cabbage has wilted. Drain and carefully remove the whole leaves. Trim off the heavy stem and flatten leaves somewhat.
- Combine ground meats, chopped onion, rice, egg, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Put about 2 tablespoons of this meat and rice mixture on each cabbage leaf; fold sides in and roll up. Secure rolls with toothpicks if desired. Place the cabbage rolls seam side down in the slow cooker.
- Spread the drained sauerkraut over the rolls.
- Combine the tomato juice and water and pour over the cabbage rolls.
- Cover the pot and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove the cabbage rolls to a warm platter.
- Blend 1/2 cup of the broth with the sour cream; pour over cabbage rolls.
Freeze the head of cabbage and then let it defrost overnight in the freezer. The leaves will peel off easily and they'll be soft enough to roll.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|