This Hungarian walnut sponge cake recipe can be the base for many elegant desserts including somloi galuska or trifle.
Use a light hand when sifting in the flour so as not to deflate the batter.
- 3 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cake flour
- 1/3 cup walnuts (ground, NOT chopped)
- Pinch salt
- Place rack in middle of oven and heat to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 13x9-inch pan and line with parchment.
- Combine eggs and sugar in stainless-steel bowl or stand mixer bowl. Place over (not in) a simmering pot of water on medium heat, whisking constantly, until eggs are warm to the touch and sugar has dissolved, about 1 minute.
- Using the whisk attachment of a stand mixer or electric handheld mixer on high speed, beat until the egg-sugar mixture has tripled in volume, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, ground walnuts and salt. In two additions, sift the flour-walnut-salt mixture over the egg-sugar mixture, carefully folding it in so as not to deflate the batter.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake about 12 minutes or until the center springs back when lightly pressed. Remove from oven and cool in pan 3 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the sponge cake to loosen it. Then cover the pan with a sheet of parchment paper and another baking sheet and invert the sponge cake. Lift off the 13x9-inch pan and carefully peel off the parchment paper. Let cool completely.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|