Making two-ingredient ice cream bread is one of those magical recipes that sounds impossible. The recipe is incredibly easy and yet the flavor possibilities are endless. All you need is your favorite flavor of ice cream and self-rising flour. The key is to make sure you are using full-fat regular ice cream. Don't attempt to substitute low-fat or low-sugar ice cream in this recipe. You also need to be sure to use self-rising flour. It is a great convenience product with all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt already perfectly blended into the mix in the correct ratios.
The result is a loaf of quick bread with a great texture and light flavor. The trick to this great texture is making sure the ice cream is melted and smooth before mixing it with the self-rising flour. Try mixing the ice cream with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to remove any lumps. This will prevent you from overworking the batter when combining the two ingredients. An overworked batter will result in a dense bread.
- 2 cups softened ice cream
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- Optional: Multicolored sprinkles
Gather the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a bread loaf pan and set aside.
Stir the ice cream until mostly melted and smooth. In a large bowl, combine the soft, smooth ice cream, and the self-rising flour. Do not over mix.
Pour the batter into the prepared bread loaf pan.
Top with sprinkles, if desired. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and allow to cool the rest of the way on a cooling rack.
Enjoy warm or at room temperature. Store leftovers for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
The flavor possibilities are endless when it comes to making ice cream bread. You can use your favorite flavors of ice cream to create new and exciting flavors of bread. Here are a few suggestions to try:
- Butter Pecan Ice Cream Bread: Use butter pecan ice cream in the recipe and top with finely chopped pecans before baking. Serve the slices toasted with a pat of butter.
- Chocolate Ice Cream Bread: Use chocolate ice cream in the recipe and top with mini chocolate chips before baking.
- Strawberries and Cream Ice Cream Bread: Use strawberry ice cream in the recipe and top with white chocolate chips before baking.
- Cinnamon Raisin Ice Cream Bread: Use rum raisin ice cream in the recipe and add 1 teaspoon cinnamon into the batter. Additional raisins can also be mixed in before baking.