|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 2g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 96g||35%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||20%|
|Total Sugars 78g|
|Vitamin C 101mg||506%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
It may not be the simplest of mojito recipes, but when you add fresh watermelon and raspberries, it's hard to resist. The Independence Day mojito is a great recipe for summer and absolutely perfect for your 4th of July celebration.
A fun recipe for Shellback Rum, this is a fruity variation on the mojito that plays up the best fruits of the summer season. The fruits are muddled along with the mint to extract their sweet juices, which intermingle nicely with the crisp, refreshing herb. The remainder of the cocktail is exactly as it is in the original: rum, lime, syrup, and soda. While it's unique, it's not that different and is sure to offer a taste everyone will enjoy.
Gather the ingredients.
Add the rum, lime juice, and simple syrup, and fill the shaker with ice.
Top with soda.
Garnish with a sprig of mint. Serve and enjoy.
- To get the most flavor out of your mint, slap the leaves between your palms or tear them slightly before muddling.
- Frozen raspberries will work if the fresh fruit is not available—1/4 cup will do. Be sure to let them thaw a little so they can be mashed.
- With the abundance of fresh fruits, this mojito will be best with fresh lime juice as well. You should be able to squeeze half a lime directly into the shaker to get the 1/2 ounce needed for the recipe.
- Pouring an aged or spiced rum will create more of a flavor foundation that can be quite nice.
- Use any other lightly flavored soda as an alternative to club soda. Citrus sodas and ginger ales will result in a sweeter drink that's equally refreshing. You could even use a slightly flavored sparkling water, such as La Croix, playing up the fruits if you prefer.
- Switch to other seasonal fruits if you like. Use blueberries or strawberries, or go with other melons like cantaloupe or honeydew.
How Strong Is an Independence Day Mojito?
Shellback Silver is an 80-proof rum, and since it's the only liquor, this mojito is going to be a relatively light drink. Though it will vary based on the amount of juice your fruits yield and how much soda you actually pour, its alcohol content will be in the 10 percent ABV (20 proof) range. That's equivalent to the average wine, but this cocktail is a lot more interesting.