- 4 cups full cream milk (about 1 liter)
- 7 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- Prepare a mold/ pudding cups/ ramekin cups for the custard by greasing very lightly with butter.
- Heat 1/2 cup of sugar with 1 tsp of water in a pan till it melts and turns golden brown. Pour this caramelized sugar into the pudding mold/pudding cups/ ramekin cups and swirl to coat the sides of the mold. Keep aside to cool.
- If baking, preheat your oven now to 350 F/ 180 C/ Gas Mark 4.
- Mix the eggs and remaining sugar together in a large bowl and blend till all the sugar has dissolved. Now add the milk, vanilla essence and nutmeg and blend again.
- Pour this mixture into the mold/ pudding cups/ ramekin cups you are using, to fill them 3/4 of the way to the top.
- If baking: Place the mold/ pudding cups/ ramekin cups in a large, deep baking pan. Pour hot water into the baking pan till it is about 1" below the rim of the molds.
- If steaming in a pressure cooker: It is advisable to use one mold in this case. Place the mold in the pressure cooker - elevate the mold with a pressure cooker ring (or overturned flat-bottomed metal bowl). Pour water very carefully into the pressure cooker till it is about 2" below the rim of the mold.
- If baking in an oven: Cook for about 45 minutes or till the custard is firm. Test by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean the pudding is done.
- If steaming in a pressure cooker: Cook for half an hour and then check for doneness as above.
- When cooked, cool the pudding and then chill in the refrigerator for an hour or two.
- To serve, place a plate over the mold/ pudding cup/ ramekin cup, hold firmly in place and turn over gently. The pudding will turn over onto the plate, caramel side up! Pour some of the remaining caramel (if any) over the pudding and serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|