|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 19g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||14%|
|Total Carbohydrate 76g||27%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||25%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This Indian-spiced couscous salad recipe certainly isn't a traditional Indian food recipe, but it is a healthy (and yummy!) dish suitable for a vegetarian or vegan main dish or side dish. Couscous salad is always a popular dish to bring to a vegetarian potluck.
See also: Is it a main dish or a side dish?
- 1/2 cup currants (raisins can be used as a substitute if needed)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon or lime juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, to taste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups couscous, uncooked
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Gather the ingredients.
- Whisk together the currants, orange juice, lemon or lime juice, olive oil, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne until well mixed.
- In a large saucepan, bring the vegetable broth to a boil and add the couscous. Cover, remove from heat and let stand for 8 to 10 minutes, or until couscous is done the cooking. Fluff couscous with a fork and allow to cool.
- In a bit of water, steam or microwave the carrot and bell pepper until they are just barely cooked.
- Combine carrot, bell pepper, onion and couscous in a large bowl. Pour the orange juice dressing over the couscous and veggies, and add fresh parsley. Gently toss to combine. Chill for at least one hour before serving.