Western influence has made its way to India, and hamburgers are no exception. The meat patty has become a popular food in India, combining the American-style burger with traditional Indian spices. By mixing ground beef or lamb with the classic Indian seasonings of ginger and garlic pastes, coriander, cumin, and garam masala, you take the typical hamburger to a whole new level. By swapping the ketchup and mustard for a mint-coriander chutney, you create a summertime favorite with a deliciously unique flavor profile.
This recipe calls for pan-frying the beef patties, but you can certainly grill them if you prefer. Serve these burger patties with naan bread and cooling raita sauce to keep with more traditional Indian cuisine.
- 1 lb./500 g ground beef or lamb
- 1 tsp. ginger paste
- 2 tsp. garlic paste
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander (cilantro) (leaves and stems, chopped very fine)
- 2 green chilies (chopped very fine)
- 2 slices of bread (soaked in water until soft and then crumbled)
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice
- Vegetable, sunflower or canola oil to shallow fry the burger patties
- 4 burger buns
- 1 tbsp. butter (for the buns)
- 4 to 5 tbsp. mint-coriander chutney
- 1 large onion (sliced into rings)
- 2 large tomatoes (sliced)
Gather the ingredients.
In a large mixing bowl, place the meat, ginger and garlic pastes, chopped coriander, chopped green chilies, soaked breadcrumbs, spice powders, salt, and lime or lemon juice. Mix thoroughly to blend all ingredients.
Line a plate with parchment paper. Divide meat mixture into 4 portions and form into patties. Place the patties on a lined plate and set aside.
Heat about 1/2-inch of oil in a large griddle or frying pan over low to medium heat. When hot, add the patties (do not overcrowd the pan) and cook on both sides until done to your likeness, 3 to 5 minutes a side.
While the patties are cooking, slice each bun, open and lightly toast on a grill or in a toaster oven. Butter as desired and spread about 1 tablespoon of mint-coriander chutney on each bun.
Place a cooked patty on each bun and add onion and tomato. Season with salt if desired, close the bun and serve right away.