Beef stroganoff, named for the Stroganov family, is a Russian dish of beef and sauce that harkens back to Tsarist Russia. The recipe—basically a dish of sautéed beef in sour cream sauce—was initially created in the mid-1800s. While beef stroganoff enjoys worldwide popularity now, there are many regional variations. In the U.S., stroganoff is typically prepared with beef, mushrooms, onions, and a sour cream sauce. It is usually served with noodles.
This Instant Pot beef stroganoff is a classic U.S. version of the dish made with the addition of garlic. Worcestershire sauce adds tanginess, while a bit of Dijon mustard adds mellow flavor. After the beef is pressure-cooked, the noodles are added to the pot, making this version a convenient one-pot meal. The sour cream, added near the end of the cooking time, finishes the dish perfectly.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin (cut into bite-sized cubes)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons butter (divided use)
- 1 onion (peeled, chopped; about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 3 cups beef stock (low sodium or unsalted)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (or more stock)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- Optional: 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Garnish: parsley (fresh chopped)
Gather the ingredients.
Set the Instant Pot on "sauté" and add the oil. When the oil is hot (the display will read "hot" when it is ready) add the beef, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring until browned. Remove the meat to a plate and set aside.
Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pot and swirl it around until it melts and begins to sizzle. Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and sliced mushrooms. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the onion is softened; add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
Add the beef back to the Instant Pot, along with the beef stock, wine, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard. Make sure you scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the valve is in the sealing position. Select the pressure cook function (manual on some models), high pressure, and set the timer for 10 minutes. When the time is up, let the pressure come down naturally for 5 minutes and then carefully turn the valve to the venting position to release the remaining pressure.
Add the noodles to the pot and stir gently to combine. Replace the lid and select the pressure cook or manual function, high pressure. Set the timer for 5 minutes. When the time is up, carefully turn the valve to the venting position do a quick release and remove the lid.
Combine the 1 tablespoon of flour with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and knead or stir until well mixed. Stir the butter and flour mixture into the noodles and switch the pot to sauté. Add the sour cream and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until hot.
Transfer the stroganoff to a serving bowl and scatter some chopped fresh parsley over the dish. Enjoy!
- Sirloin or sirloin tips are excellent choices for the recipe.
- If you use a tougher beef cut, such as chuck, add 2 minutes to the initial cooking time.