|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||26%|
|Total Carbohydrate 22g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||20%|
|Total Sugars 8g|
|Vitamin C 27mg||134%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
One of the great things about this butternut squash soup recipe—aside from the soup's great flavor, of course—is that there is no pre-cooking or sautéeing required. Everything goes right into the pot, and cleanup is a breeze. Besides the Instant Pot, you'll need a few measuring cups and spoons, a cutting board, knife, and a blender or immersion blender.
Add cream to make a more luscious soup or make it vegan with coconut milk. If you prefer a thinner soup, add some extra vegetable broth just before serving. Garnish the soup with pumpkin seeds, bacon, chopped herbs, or a swirl of sour cream or yogurt.
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth, or chicken broth
1/4 cup apple juice, or more broth
2 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 cup diced shallots, or onion
1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
3/4 cup heavy cream, or coconut milk
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons fresh sage (about 1 or 2 sprigs)
1 teaspoon fresh thyme (about 1 sprig)
Chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley, for optional garnish
Cooked crumbled bacon, for optional garnish
Plain yogurt, for optional garnish
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the vegetable stock and apple juice (or more broth) into the Instant Pot. Add the butternut squash, shallots, apple, salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, sage, and thyme.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the steam release knob is in the sealing position. Select the pressure cook button, high pressure, and set the time for 15 minutes. It will take approximately 20 minutes to reach pressure and begin cooking. When the time is up, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes, then turn the knob to the venting position to release the remaining pressure quickly.
Working in batches, blend the hot soup in a blender until smooth. Alternatively, use an immersion blender to blend the soup mixture.
Pour the blended soup back into the Instant Pot. Add the cream and adjust the seasonings; stir to blend. Select the sauté function and cook until heated through.
Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish as desired with cilantro, parsley, crumbled bacon, yogurt, or sour cream.
Use Caution When Blending Hot Ingredients
Steam expands quickly in a blender, and can cause ingredients to splatter everywhere or cause burns. To prevent this, fill the blender only one-third of the way up, vent the top, and cover with a folded kitchen towel while blending.
What Can I Substitute for the Butternut Squash?
Acorn, buttercup, Hubbard, and delicata squash are all good substitutes for the butternut squash in this recipe. Pumpkin may be used as well, or try an alternative, such as sweet potato.
What Goes With Butternut Squash Soup?
How to Store and Freeze
- Refrigerate leftover butternut squash soup in airtight containers for up to 4 days.
- Freeze butternut squash soup in freezer bags or containers for up to 3 months.
- To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight if frozen. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave oven until it reaches at least 165 F..
- A vegetable peeler is the easiest way to remove a butternut squash peel. Use a large, sharp knife to cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and then cut it into cubes. Or you can look for pre-cut cubed squash in your local supermarket.
- Add about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of curry powder along with the other seasonings. Finish the soup with coconut milk and, optionally, a teaspoon or two of lime juice, or to taste. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro.
- For a more savory soup, omit the apple juice and apple, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and add 2 to 3 ribs of diced celery. Use vegetable broth or chicken stock.