Chicken with rice has long been a favorite comfort food and this Instant Pot recipe makes it easier than ever to prepare and cook. A blend of Italian herbs adds flavor to the rice mixture, but feel free to use another savory herb blend. Fines herbes or a poultry blend would be excellent choices, as well.
This recipe cooks quickly with long-grain white rice and chicken breasts, but with a few time adjustments, it can be made with brown rice and chicken thighs. Just follow the instructions, but use brown rice and boneless chicken thighs and increase the pressure cooking time to 22 minutes. This is one of the many chicken recipes you can make in your Instant Pot.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 2 ribs celery (diced)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced, about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 2/3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup long-grain white rice (well-rinsed and drained)
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
Gather the ingredients.
Select the sauté button on the Instant Pot and add the olive oil and butter to the inner pot. When the pot is hot, add the onion and sauté for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
To the onion, add the carrots, celery, and garlic and cook for 2 minutes longer.
Add the bell pepper, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and chicken stock to the pot. Stir and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits from the onion.
Stir the rice into the vegetable and stock mixture and place the chicken pieces on top.
Secure the lid and make sure the steam release knob or switch is in the sealing position. Choose the pressure cook button (or manual on some pots), high pressure, and set the timer for 6 minutes. The pressure will build, and cooking will begin in approximately 6 minutes.
When the time is up, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes, and then release the remaining pressure with a quick release.
Remove the chicken breasts to a plate and then chop or shred with two forks.
Add the peas and about half of the parsley to the rice mixture; stir. The residual heat from the rice mixture will heat the thawed peas.
Add the chopped or shredded chicken back to the pot and stir to blend. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
Spoon the chicken and rice into a serving bowl and garnish with the remaining parsley. Enjoy the dish with crusty bread or biscuits and a green salad.
- Rinsing rice cleans it and removes surface starch. To rinse rice, put it in a mesh strainer and run cool water over it for 2 to 3 minutes. Or put the rice in a bowl of cool water. Change the water 3 to 4 times, or until the water is clear enough to see the individual grains.