The Instant Pot pressure cooker is an excellent way to get homemade chicken and rice soup on the table quickly any night of the week. The soup is a healthy combination of lean chicken breasts, stock, and vegetables, along with a few basic pantry seasonings you probably have on hand.
Thyme and rosemary are the seasonings called for in this recipe, but feel free to substitute an equal amount of an Italian seasoning blend. Or you might use another herb blend, such as fines herbes or herbes de Provence.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts (2 large or 3 small)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 3 carrots (cut into 1/2-inch dice, about 2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary (crumbled, or 3/4 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Gather the ingredients.
Select the Instant Pot sauté setting and add the olive oil to the pot. When the display reads "hot," add the chicken breasts. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side (the chicken will be partially cooked and lightly browned on the outside). Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside.
Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots to the pot along with the thyme, rosemary, kosher salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer.
Add the chicken broth and rice and stir, scraping the bottom of the pot to loosen any browned bits.
Add the partially cooked chicken breasts.
Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the valve is in the sealing position. Select the pressure cook or manual button, high pressure, and set the timer for 3 minutes (it will take roughly 13 minutes for the pot to come to full pressure and begin cooking). When the time is up, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes. Move the steam release valve to the venting position to release the remaining pressure.
Remove the chicken breasts to a plate and shred it with 2 forks.
Return the shredded chicken to the Instant Pot and add the chopped parsley. Taste the broth and adjust the seasonings, as needed.
Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with extra parsley, if desired.
- If you prefer brown rice, there are a few ways to adjust this recipe. One way is to cook the rice separately in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop, and then add it to the soup just before serving. Alternatively, you could make it with brown rice and frozen chicken breasts. Skip step 2 and add the frozen chicken breasts after the broth and rice are added. Instead of 3 minutes, set the timer for 15 minutes.
- For richer chicken flavor, add 3 to 4 bouillon cubes or chicken base along with the broth and don't add the salt until you taste the finished soup.