The food processor and Instant Pot make this chicken pot pie a snap to prepare and bake. The filling is made with chicken breasts, but part or all chicken thighs may be used as well. Use a good quality chicken stock, preferably low-sodium or unsalted.
The easy pastry takes no time to prepare with a food processor and then rolled out and chilled until the filling is finished. The filling and pastry may be prepared a day in advance.
- For the pastry:
- 1 1/4 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons butter (chilled)
- 3 tablespoons water (iced)
- For the filling:
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts (boneless)
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste (freshly ground)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 medium potatoes ( red-skinned, round white, or new)
- 3 ribs celery (sliced)
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon herb seasoning (salt-free, or poultry seasoning blend)
- 1 1/2 cups stock (chicken)
- For the roux:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup peas (frozen, thawed)
- For the egg wash:
- 1 egg (the white)
- 1 tablespoon water
- Optional: sesame seeds
Prepare the Pastry
- In a food processor, combine 1 1/4 cups of flour, the baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Pulse to blend thoroughly. Cut the 12 tablespoons of butter into small pieces and pulse them into the flour mixture, a few pieces at a time. The mixture should have many pea-size pieces. Drizzle the ice water into the food processor while pulsing. Continue pulsing just until the mixture begins to form clumps.
- Transfer the dough mixture to a floured surface and knead a few times to form a cohesive dough. Pat it out into a flat disk or square and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes.
Prepare the Filling
- Chop the onion and put it in the Instant Pot.
- Cut the chicken into 2-inch cubes and place the cubes on the onions. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cut the potatoes into 1 1/2-inch cubes and scatter them over the chicken pieces.
- Slice the carrots into 1-inch pieces and add it to the pot along with the sliced celery.
- Sprinkle with the herb seasoning or poultry seasoning and add the chicken stock.
- Place the lid on the pot and close the pressure valve. Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Allow natural pressure release.
Make the Roux
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the 6 tablespoons of butter. Add 1/2 cup of flour and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the heavy cream and thawed peas and season to taste with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until hot.
- Stir the roux mixture into the chicken filling mixture in the Instant Pot. Stir to blend and cook for about 2 minutes, or until the liquids are thickened. Taste and adjust seasonings. Remove the bay leaf.
Assemble and Bake the Pie
- Heat the oven to 375 F.
- Lightly grease a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Pour the filling mixture into the baking dish. Set aside to cool slightly or refrigerate until you are ready to bake.
- On a floured surface, roll the pastry out to a rectangle about 2 inches larger than the baking dish in width and length. Place the sheet of pastry on the filling. Crimp the edges as desired.
- Whisk the egg white with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush the dough lightly and then sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using.
- Cut several slits in the top of the dough.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
Make Ahead: Prepare the pastry, shape it into a disk, wrap and refrigerate. Prepare the filling and roux; pour into the prepared baking dish. Cover and refrigerate the filling until you're ready to roll out the pastry and bake.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|