This Instant Pot leg of lamb is a showstopping entrée for a special family dinner or Easter feast and the pressure cooker makes it a breeze to prep and cook. After a total of only 35 minutes of cooking time, your lamb will be a perfect medium rare. Garlic, fresh herbs, and a few vegetables make this boneless leg of lamb a meal to remember.
- For the Lamb
- 4 pounds leg of lamb (boneless)
- 2 large carrots (or 3 medium)
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed and minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (unsalted)
- For the Sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
Gather the ingredients.
Pat the lamb dry with paper towels. If the roast is not tied, tie it with kitchen twine in several places—about 1 1/2 to 2 inches between ties—so it is uniform in thickness.
Peel the carrots and onion. Slice the carrot on the diagonal into 2-inch lengths. Cut the onion into 6 to 8 wedges.
Combine the minced garlic with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the salt, pepper, and chopped herbs. Rub the mixture over the lamb.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the Instant Pot and choose the sauté setting. When the oil is hot, add the lamb and cook for about 8 minutes, turning to brown all sides.
Cancel the sauté. Add the sliced carrots and onion wedges to the pot along with the chicken stock.
Lock the lid in place and turn the venting knob to the sealing position. Select the manual setting, high pressure, and set the time to 25 minutes. When the time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes. Carefully turn the knob to the venting position to release the remaining pressure. Remove the meat and vegetables to a platter and keep warm.
Strain the liquids into a bowl or gravy separator. Skim and discard the fat. Return the liquids to the Instant Pot and select the sauté setting.
Combine the 3 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of cold water. Mix until smooth. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the simmering liquids and stir until thickened. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings, as needed.
Serve the thickened sauce with the leg of lamb and vegetables.
- If the lamb isn't as brown as you like, transfer the roast to a baking pan and place it under a preheated broiler for about 5 minutes. Turn the pan a few times so the lamb will brown evenly.
- With Potatoes: When the roast is done, transfer it to a platter along with the vegetables. Cover and keep warm in a 170 F to 200 F oven. Place 1 1/2 pounds of baby potatoes in a steaming basket. Place the steaming basket in the Instant Pot with the liquids and select the manual setting, high pressure, for 8 minutes. Do a quick release and remove the potatoes to the platter with the lamb. Make the sauce as directed and serve along with the lamb and vegetables.
- Replace the fresh minced garlic with 2 teaspoons of garlic powder.
- Replace about 1/2 cup of the chicken stock with dry white or red wine.