This delicious crustless quiche is made entirely in the Instant Pot and is the easiest, least messy way to serve breakfast for your family or for a whole crowd. We loaded this quiche with caramelized onions, kale, and shredded gouda. It’s a perfect flavor combination that you can serve for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner. Serve alongside a salad with a simple vinaigrette or with your favorite breakfast sides like bacon and toast.
You can easily switch up the vegetables or cheese and use the same method to make your own take on Instant Pot quiche. If you'd like a crispy top, sprinkle the top with cheese after pressure cooking and toast under the broiler.
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or whole milk)
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter (plus more for greasing the pan)
- 2 medium sweet onions (sliced)
- 4 cups fresh kale (chopped)
- 3/4 cup Gouda cheese (freshly shredded)
Gather the ingredients.
Whisk together the eggs and cream in a large bowl until completely blended. Stir in a 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and all of the pepper and set aside.
Add the butter to the insert of the Instant Pot and turn on the sauté setting.
Once the butter has melted, add the sliced onion and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of the salt to the pot. Stir to coat and then sauté for about ten minutes, stirring frequently, or until the onions are softened and browned.
Add the kale to the pot and sauté until the kale has just wilted and softened. Do not overcook as it will cook in the quiche as well. Turn the saute function off and transfer the kale and onion mixture to a bowl to cool slightly.
Butter an 8-inch springform pan generously. If you have a smaller Instant Pot you can use a tall 6 or 7-inch springform pan. Wrap the pan with a thick piece of aluminum foil. Wrap the foil around just the top edge of the pan, being careful to not let it fold over into the pan too much.
Add the kale and onion mixture to the whisked egg. Fold in the Gouda cheese. Pour the egg mixture into the prepared pan.
Clean out the Instant Pot insert. Place a cup of water in the bottom of the insert and add the trivet.
Place the springform pan onto the trivet. Close the lid and turn on the egg setting for 25 minutes.
Manually release the steam and make sure the quiche is firm. Remove from the Instant Pot using potholders.
Allow the quiche to rest for a few minutes and then remove the springform. Slice and serve.
- Substitute the kale with broccoli or another green vegetable.
- Try using fontina, Gruyere, or cheddar cheese instead of Gouda.
- If you don’t like onion you can leave it out.
- You can also add in meats like breakfast sausage or bacon. You can cook it right in the insert before cooking the quiche just like we did with the onion.