This Instant Pot turkey breast will make your Thanksgiving dinner prep a breeze! The turkey is seasoned with a variety of herbs and spices, and a few minutes of searing time gives it a beautiful golden crust. If you crave a crispier skin, just pop it under the broiler for a few minutes.
You don't have to wait for a holiday or special occasion to prepare this meaty entree. The turkey breast makes a delicious addition to sandwiches, soups, casseroles, and salads—just cook one on the weekend and enjoy as several meals throughout the week.
- 4 pounds turkey breast (boneless)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves (minced)
- 2 teaspoons rosemary leaves (minced)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (coarse grind)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (or ghee)
- 1 cup chicken stock (unsalted or low sodium)
- Optional: sprigs of rosemary and thyme
- For the Gravy:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
Gather the ingredients.
Pat the turkey breast with paper towels to dry; do not remove the netting.
Select the high sauté setting on the Instant Pot and add the olive oil or ghee. Place the turkey breast in the Instant Pot and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes, turning to brown all sides. Alternatively, sear the turkey breast in a large skillet over medium heat.
Remove the turkey breast to a plate and place the rack in the Instant Pot. Add the chicken stock to the pot along with a few sprigs of herbs, if desired. Return the turkey breast to the Instant Pot.
Lock the lid in place and ensure the vent is set to "sealing." Choose the manual setting; adjust the pressure to high and set the time for 35 minutes. When the time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Check the temperature of the turkey with an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center. If the turkey is not at least 165 F, lock the lid in place and continue to cook it for a few more minutes. Remove the turkey breast to a platter; tent with foil and keep warm.
Strain the drippings into a bowl or gravy separator and skim off excess fat. Measure 2 cups of strained drippings and set aside.
Select the normal/medium sauté setting on the Instant Pot. Melt the 4 tablespoons of butter in the pot, then add the flour. Cook the butter and flour mixture, constantly stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually add the reserved 2 cups of drippings and continue cooking, frequently stirring, until the gravy is thickened. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
Carefully remove the netting from the turkey breast and slice thinly.
- Decrease the cooking time by about 5 minutes for a three-pound turkey breast.
- For crispier skin, transfer the cooked turkey breast to a baking pan and place it under the preheated broiler for a few minutes.
- To substitute dried herbs for the fresh herbs, use a scant 1/2 teaspoon of dried for each 1 teaspoon of fresh.
- For a richer gravy, add a tablespoon or two of heavy cream.
- Replace the fresh rosemary and thyme with 1 1/2 teaspoons of poultry seasoning.