|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 22g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||69%|
|Total Carbohydrate 9g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|Total Sugars 8g|
|Vitamin C 1mg||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
For anyone who's a fan of creamy, minty drinks, the Irish eyes cocktail is a great choice. This recipe creates one of the most delicious Irish whiskey cocktails you will find, and it's incredibly easy to mix up.
All you need to make the Irish eyes is Irish whiskey, green crème de menthe, and cream. The result is a fun, flavorful green cocktail that you'll definitely want to share. On St. Patrick's Day, you can give your sweetheart an Irish eyes cocktail, look into their eyes and say "Tá tú go h-álainn" (meaning "You're beautiful"; pronounced taw two guh haul-inn).
1 ounce Irish whiskey
1/4 ounce green crème de menthe liqueur
2 ounces cream
Maraschino cherry, for garnish
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker, pour the Irish whiskey, green crème de menthe, and cream. Fill with ice.
Strain into an old-fashioned glass over fresh ice.
Garnish with a maraschino cherry. Serve and enjoy.
- Crème de menthe comes in two colors, green and white (clear). The drink will taste the same with white crème de menthe, so if that's all you have, go ahead and use it.
- For the Irish whiskey, there's really no need to pour from your best bottle. A mixed drink like this is the perfect excuse to save a little money with a good budget-friendly brand.
- Choose your cream according to your taste. Heavy cream will produce a rich drink, while milk is a good option if you want something a little lighter. A good middle ground between the two is half and half, which is often preferred for drinks like this.
- Rather than cream, pour a cream liqueur as a substitute.
- Rim the glass with a little cocoa powder for a fun touch. With each sip, you'll get a delightful hint of chocolate, which is always a pleasant pairing for mint.
- There's a cocktail called "Irish eyes are smiling" that's equally delicious. It's made the same way, but instead of mint, it uses chocolate liqueur.
How Strong Is an Irish Eyes Cocktail?
The Irish eyes drink is as pleasantly mild as it is delicious. On average, its alcohol content is similar to wine, at 12 percent ABV (24 proof).
What Does Crème de Menthe Go With?
Most often, you'll find crème de menthe in cocktails that include cream and chocolate. It's most popularly used in sweet martinis like the grasshopper and hot cocoa drinks like the peppermint patty. The sweet mint liqueur mixes best with vodka and Irish whiskey, though it's also fascinating with brandy.
Does Crème de Menthe Go Bad?
Crème liqueurs contain more sugar than other liqueurs, and this slightly reduces their shelf life. However, like many distilled spirits, an open bottle of crème de menthe will be good for years. If you've had a bottle for some time, check for an off odor, discoloration, or crystallized sugar. These are signs that it's probably a good time to replace it. Fortunately, crème de menthe is typically inexpensive.