|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||9%|
|Total Carbohydrate 28g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||9%|
|Total Sugars 3g|
|Vitamin C 12mg||59%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This Italian-flavored recipe takes just minutes to prepare and is a wonderful family dinner for a busy day. Fix the ingredients in the morning, place in the slow cooker, and come back for a deliciously easy meal. Seasoned with Italian herbs and a zesty dressing, the chicken and potatoes make a wholesome and simple meal.
Simply mix all the ingredients and cook. You can use store-bought zesty Italian dressing, but by making your own you can control the quality of the ingredients and monitor the amount of sodium and fat added, as many pre-made sauces and dressings are heavy on those items.
Serve this wonderful recipe with a green crunchy salad with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, or a simple mixture of avocados and cherry tomatoes dressed with olive oil and lemon juice. As the dish already has a good deal of hearty nutrition, a side of green vegetables is best. Alternatively, steam some broccoli or french string beans to add some crunch to your meal.
1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts (boneless and skinless, sliced)
1/2 cup zesty Italian salad dressing
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
4 cloves garlic (minced)
4 medium potatoes (cubed)
Gather the ingredients.
Place the chicken, salad dressing, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic, and potatoes in a 3- to 4-quart crockpot. Mix well to coat the chicken and potatoes with the dressing and seasonings.
Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked to 165 F and the potatoes are tender.
Make Your Own Zesty Dressing
To make your own zesty dressing for this recipe, or to use on salads, you'll need 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, 1/3 cup red wine vinegar, 1/2 tablespoons agave or maple syrup, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 4 small minced garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 1 pinch onion powder, 1 pinch dried oregano, 1 pinch dried basil, and 1 pinch dried parsley. Mix all the ingredients well and serve. Alternatively, place all the ingredients in a mason jar, and shake vigorously. Keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Additions and Substitutions
Add other ingredients to this super easy recipe, or use it as a template to create your own version:
- Add chopped onions, baby carrots, peppers, peas, parsnips, grape tomatoes, or a combination of two or more of these ingredients.
- Use 1 pound of mini potatoes instead of the cubed potatoes. Leave them whole.
- Add 1 pint of sliced white mushrooms halfway through the cooking process. Before serving, add 3/4 cup of heavy cream to the pot, mix well, taste for seasoning, and adjust to your taste. Allow the cream to heat up and serve. For a meatier texture, use sliced Portobello mushrooms.
- Substitute boneless, skinless chicken thighs for the breasts in this recipe to get more flavor and a little extra fat. Use the same amount of thighs, and increase the cooking time to 7 to 9 hours.
- Substitute chicken for sliced turkey breast or sliced beef. Adjust the flavor of the broth accordingly.
- Use bone-in chicken pieces to get extra flavor. Remove the skin and cook the ingredients for 7 to 9 hours or until they test 165 F on an instant-read meat thermometer.
- Add shredded cheese on top 20 minutes before the time is up, allowing the cheese to melt before serving. Or transfer the cooked mixture to a large baking dish, top with cheese, and place under the broiler until the cheese is melted and of a golden brown color.