|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 30g||39%|
|Saturated Fat 10g||48%|
|Total Carbohydrate 44g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 11g||40%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Sausage and peppers is a classic Italian-American dish that is super common in the northeast. You can find it at carnivals, festivals, and potlucks. It’s delicious, simple, and has a signature taste that is fueled from the juicy sausages. Make sure to purchase sausages that are super tasty as they are the star of the dish!
Traditionally pork sausages are used but you can substitute chicken sausages if you wish.
Serve the sausage and peppers on their own for a hearty low-carb meal or stuff into sliced Italian rolls for a tasty lunch or dinner.
- 2 hot Italian sausages
- 3 sweet Italian sausages
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 large Vidalia onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- optional: Italian rolls
Gather your ingredients
Preheat the oven to 400F.
Grill the Italian sausages in a grill pan or on an actual grill on high heat until you have grill marks on both sides of the sausages. The sausage does not have to be completely cooked through.
While the sausages are grilling, slice the bell peppers into long, ½ inch strips.
Then cut the onions into half moon slices.
Heat the olive oil in a large pan (one that will be able to hold all of the sausages as well and that has a lid) and add the onions and peppers as well as the salt and pepper. Saute the onions and peppers until they are just slightly cooked through and bright in color. Do not overcook. They will be cooked again with the sausages.
Cut the sausages into 1 inch slices. Add them to the peppers and onions. Add the garlic cloves and vinegar. Toss the ingredients together and then cover with the lid. Add the pan to the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the peppers are softened and the sausages have finished cooking through.
Toss the sausages and peppers and top with parmesan cheese if you wish. Serve the sausage and peppers on Italian bread for a sausage and pepper sub or just on its own as a one-pan, low-carb meal.
- You can totally make this dish in one pan. We love having the grill marks from a grill or grill pan.. But this is mostly aesthetic, unless you are using a charcoal grill which will add flavor. So, feel free to skip the grill pan and just sear the sausages for a few minutes on each side in the pan you are going to use for the onions and peppers.
- You can use any variety of Italian sausages you wish. We like a mix of sweet and spicy sausages for the best flavor, but you can use all sweet or all spicy. You can also substitute chicken sausages if you wish.
- Use whatever color peppers you like. Yellow, orange, green, and red all work well. If you want to make it spicy, add in a few chopped jalapeno slices.