|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6-8 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 21g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||40%|
|Total Carbohydrate 19g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||10%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This slow cooker onion soup pot roast is updated with Italian seasonings, tomatoes, and potatoes, to provide a full, delicious meal made in one pot. And you don't have to be home to cook it. Just throw everything together in the slow cooker and press the start button!
Feel free to add some rutabaga or parsnips to the potatoes and carrots. Instead of chunks of potatoes, add small creamers or unpeeled baby potatoes.
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast (trim any visible fat)
- 1 (16-ounce) can stewed tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 2 large carrots (peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 medium potatoes (peeled and cut into large chunks)
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup beef stock
- Kosher salt (to taste)
Gather the ingredients.
Place the trimmed roast in the slow cooker crockery insert. Add the tomatoes and chopped onion and then arrange the carrots and potatoes around the beef.
Sprinkle the onion soup mix, garlic, oregano, pepper, and bay leaf over the beef and vegetables. Pour the beef stock over all.
Cover and cook the roast on low for about 8 to 9 hours, or cook it on high for 4 to 5 hours. Taste and add salt, as needed.
Remove the bay leaf before serving. Serve the beef and vegetables hot, with crusty rolls and salad.
- Make it easier on yourself and put all of the ingredients in the slow cooker crockery insert the night before. Cover the crockery insert and refrigerate it until the morning. Start the cooking cycle just before you leave for work.
- To thicken the liquids and make gravy, remove the beef and vegetables to a platter and keep warm. If desired, put the liquids in a gravy separator to remove the fat. Pour the defatted liquids back into the slow cooker and turn it to the high setting. Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of tap water. Stir until smooth. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the simmering broth and continue to cook for 1 minute, or until thickened.