This is a sweet and sticky sauce to be applied to ribs, grilled or smoked, shortly before they are finished. This keeps the sugar in the sauce from burning while letting the sauce form a rich glaze over the surface of the meat. Feel free to serve some extra on the side.
- 1 cup/240 mL Jack Daniel's Whiskey
- 1 cup/240 mL ketchup
- 1/2 cup/120 mL sugar (dark brown)
- 1/4 cup/60 mL vinegar
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL salt
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL black pepper
1. Combine ingredients in a medium saucepan and mix well. Simmer over medium low heat for 20 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat to low if needed. Make sure to keep a close eye on this sauce as it cooks. Sauce should be thick by the end of simmering.
2. Remove from heat and allow sauce to cool completely, about 15-20 minutes. Use immediately after cooling or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to seven days after preparation.
If you make it 1-2 days in advance, the flavors will have more time to blend together, but warm it on the stove top for a few minutes before using. Apply to grilled or smoked ribs as directed.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|