- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or enough to coat the pan)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 3 to 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 dash chipotle chile pepper (groud, or cayenne pepper)
- 1/4 cup jalapeno pepper (fresh finely chopped)
- 1 cup/4 oz. Mexican blend cheese (shredded, Cheddar Jack, or sharp Cheddar cheese)
- Optional: 1 cup canned corn (kernels)
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg (eaten)
- Coat a heavy 10-inch cast iron skillet or 9-inch square baking pan with vegetable oil and set aside. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, soda, salt, sugar, chipotle or cayenne pepper, chopped jalapeno peppers, cheese, and corn kernels.
- Preheat the skillet or pan in the oven or on the stovetop.
- Whisk together the sour cream, milk, egg, and melted butter.
- When the oven is ready, stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients just until blended. Spread in the hot greased skillet or baking pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until set and lightly browned around the edges.
- Cool in the pan on a rack; cut into squares or wedges.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|