Cheese balls are the perfect addition to any party. This version is filled with spicy jalapeno, sweet peach and zesty chives. It's coated in black sesame seeds to give it a dark and creepy look! It will go perfectly on your grown-up Halloween Snack table. It's creepy looking without looking childish! No fake ghosts or mummy hot dogs here. This sophisticated appetizer will look beautiful and will keep with a Halloween theme. Create a whole dark cheese board using a cheese slate and adding dark Kalamata olives, and dark cured meats like Capicola or salami.
The peach preserves can easily be substituted for apricot if you cannot find peach. You can also mix up your own peach mixture. Just heat two diced peaches with 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of cornstarch on medium heat until the mixture has thickened, then add in the chopped jalapenos. Make sure to soften the cream cheese before mixing all of the ingredients together. It mixes so much easier when it is softened! You can substitute the chives for chopped scallions as well. You can usually find the black sesame seeds in the spice aisle of the grocery store.
- 16 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup peach or apricot preserves
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1/8 cup chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- About 1/2 cup of black sesame seeds.
- Allow the cream cheese to soften to room temperature. While it is softening, place the peach jam in a small saucepan. Dice the jalapenos, leaving in as many seeds as desired. If you want the cheese ball to be less spicy, remove all of the seeds and ribs of the jalapenos. If you want a spicier cheese ball, just leave all of the seeds and ribs when you dice the peppers! The more seeds, the spicier the cheese ball! Add the diced peppers to the peach jam and heat on medium low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Set aside and allow to completely cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, cooled peach mixture, chives and salt. When they are completely combined, place it on a sheet of plastic wrap. Wrap the plastic wrap around the mound of cheese and twist the ends of the plastic wrap to form the mixture into a tight ball. Flip so that the twisted wrap is on the bottom and place in the refrigerator for about 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- Remove the cheese ball from the refrigerator and carefully remove the plastic wrap. Coat the cheese ball in the black sesame seeds using your hands or rolling in a bowl filled with the seeds. Place on a serving tray. Serve alongside dark crackers to complete the creepy look!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|